The MGA Academy of Performing Arts (MGA) is a centre of excellence providing training, support and promotion for young performers in Edinburgh. An Academy with one aim — a professional performing arts career for every graduate.
In 2005 Murray Grant and Andrew Gowland began running workshops in acting, singing, dance and musical theatre in Edinburgh and the surrounding area. By July 2010 they had fulfilled their vision of establishing a permanent base for MGA at its beautiful home in Balgreen Road.
They launched MGA (Murray Grant – Andrew Gowland) because they felt so strongly that students in Scotland could not stay in Scotland and receive the training they needed to succeed in the professional industry due to a lack of modern, professional-level training establishments. They also knew that with London schools charging in excess of £12,000 per year in tuition fees, a relevant and fulfilling training was out of reach for much of the talent that Scotland holds.
Over the last ten years MGA has become the obvious choice for any performing arts student seriously pursuing a career in acting, singing, dance and musical theatre. With a network of professional agents, casting directors, choreographers, directors and producers all supporting its work and graduates, MGA provides its students with an unparalleled level of training opportunities and professional contacts upon graduation.
What’s on offer
From weekly classes to full-time courses, MGA offers professional-quality training at all levels either led by its own permanent teaching team or by visiting performers and practitioners who share the skills and knowledge from their own professional experience with the performing artists of the future.
MGA has Full-Time and Junior schools which together offer a unique mix of training opportunities in acting, singing and dance — so students can be assured of a performing arts training that is second to none. Whether they are looking for a drama school or a Saturday singing class, aspiring performers will find it in Edinburgh with MGA!
- Stage Academies: combining singing, dancing and acting classes for school years P3 to S2
- Stage Academinis: like Stage Academies but smaller! For ages 4 up to P2
- Fierce Theatre School: encouraging young people in years S1-S6 to build and develop their performance skills
- One-year Prevocational Performing Arts course
- Three-year full-time course in Musical Theatre
- Three-year full-time course in Dance
- Three-year full-time course in Acting
- One-year advanced courses in Acting, Musical Theatre or Dance
- Covering all aspects of performing arts, our workshops include fun sessions for young people and our popular Edinburgh Musical Theatre Summer School, through to professional development and commissions